A Valorous Awards Ceremony was held on Fort Drum Friday afternoon.
A special honor was given to Staff Sergeant Brian D. Cammack. SSG Cammack was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his heroism and extraordinary achievements as an Air Ambulance Flight Medic.
SSG Cammack braved enemy fire while descending his aircraft hoist, only to remain and provide medical support to the ground forces in a fight in Afghanistan. SSG Cammack then volunteered to return and extract more soldiers who were wounded. In total, SSG Cammack was responsible for the extraction of six critically wounded soldiers, and the retrieval of three others who were killed in action.
Thirteen Air Metals were also awarded during the ceremony. Air Metals are awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in the Armed Forces, distinguishes themselves by meritorious achievements while in flight.
- Captain Thomas G. Jones
- Chief Warrant Officer Two Steven D. Badgley
- Chief Warrant Officer Fiver William E. Butler, Jr.
- Chief Warrant Officer Five Matthew Carmichael
- Chief Warrant Officer Three Daniel Berriocha
- Chief Warrant Officer Three Stefen S. Blasingame
- Chief Warrant Officer Three Tavis D. Anderson
- Chief Warrant Officer Two Benjamin Locke
- Specialist David Capps
- Captain Jeffrey Gray and Chief Warrant Officer Two Michael Gazda
- First Lieutenant Thomas Terry and Chief Warrant Officer Two Justin Seimet
- Chief Warrant Officer Three Alvin Melvin and Chief Warrant Officer Two Derrick Rodriguez
- Chief Warrant Officer Two Fernand P. Muffoletto and Chief Warrant Officer Two Sean Hennessy
To learn more about the Aviation Valorous awards, to hear from Major General Mark A. Milley and SSG Cammack, watch the complete video story.