Suggested Wine: CK Mondavi Chardonnay
White Barbecue Pizza Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 16 ounces pizza dough
- 1/2 cup grilled chicken, diced
- 1/2 cup Conecuh hot and spicy sausage, cut in 1/4 inch slices*
- 1 1/4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Tailor your grilled pizza using regional flavors to root for the home team this fall. Barbecue white sauce has been a Northern Alabama staple on chicken at Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q since 1925. The tangy peppery flavor of the white sauce ingredients adds a pizzazz to the pizza while the sausage brings depth and added flavor.
Preheat the grill using Kingsford® charcoal.
Sauté the onions and garlic in butter over medium heat for approximately 1 minute, or until the onions turn slightly translucent. Remove from heat and add vinegar and sugar. Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves and pour it into a small mixing bowl. Add the parmesan cheese and mix well. Add the remaining white sauce ingredients and blend together.
Roll pizza dough to a 16 inch diameter circle on a lightly greased pizza stone and spread the pizza sauce over dough evenly. Top pizza with diced grilled chicken and slices of sausage. Spread the mozzarella cheese evenly over the pizza.
Place the pizza stone on the grill and close the lid. Cook for 16 minutes or until the crust is brown and crisp. Remove the pizza from the grill, cut, and serve.