Gouverneur (WWTI) -- Investigators believe food cooking on a stove is what sparked a fire that claimed the life of a Village of Gouverneur man.
The fire Tuesday night claimed the life of 22 year old Brian Mandigo who resided at 66 Austin St. where the blaze occurred. Authorities believe Mandigo was home alone when he was deep frying food on the stove and left the items unattended, possibly due to following asleep. He was pulled from the home, which was heavily involved by fire when emergency crews responded to the scene, and was later pronounced dead at E.J. Noble Hospital.
An autopsy was scheduled, but the results have not been released.