60°F
Sponsored by

Search for crashed Reaper Drone expected to continue today

The drones are operated by the 174th Attack Wing, but take off from Fort Drum.
(WSYR-TV) – The search will continue today for the MQ-9 Reaper drone that crashed into Lake Ontario – so far crews have not been able to locate the aircraft.

An official Air Force safety investigation into the crash is underway – it’s expected to take about 30 days to complete. They’re still trying to determine what caused one of the two drones involved in the exercise to crash on Tuesday.

The drones are operated by the 174th Attack Wing, but take off from Fort Drum.

"It’s not an everyday occurrence but investigations like this are routine. They will appoint an investigating officer, they will have technicians that will come up to the lake and recover the aircraft and determine exactly what caused it to go down,” said National Security Studies Director at SU’s Maxwell School Bill Smullen.

Smullen says unmanned aircraft are becoming a more integral part of the military and are the future of national security – and that training will always be a part of it.

The 174th’s entire fleet of MQ-9’s has been grounded for the time being.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus