WATERTOWN, N.Y. (WWTI) — The New York State Department of Labor has released preliminary local unemployment rates for August.
The DOL released preliminary rates calculated through United State Bureau of Labor Statistics. According to new data, compared to August 2019, August 2020 the State’s private sector employment count decreased by 1,096,900.
For the North Country, the Watertown-Fort Drum metropolitan area saw an increase in unemployment rates from August 2019 to August 2020.
North Country county unemployment rates are as followed:
- Jefferson: 9.2%
- Lewis: 7.3%
- St. Lawrence: 8.8%
August 2020 local metropolitan area unemployment rates compared to August 2019:
|Area||August 2020||August 2019|
|New York City||16.3||4.2|
The data in the preceding table are not seasonally adjusted, which means they reflect seasonal influences.
- Stimulus stalled: Senate working against ticking clock to try and pass coronavirus relief package
- As Senate weighs COVID-19 relief, AP reports White House tried to control CDC pandemic messaging
- Time running out to reach COVID-19 relief deal before election
- DOJ files antitrust lawsuit against Google
- Binghamton Area Voter Guide
Stay up-to-date by liking ABC50 on Facebook.