GOUVERNEUR, N.Y. (WWTI) – On Thursday, November 16, the New York State Troop B Violent Gangs and Narcotics Enforcement Team (VGNET), Counter Terrorism Unit, Community Stabilization Unit with assistance from the St. Lawrence County Probation Department, successfully executed a Search Warrant at State Route 58, in the town of Macomb subsequent to an ongoing firearm investigation.
During the search warrant, a .300 BLK AR style assault rifle, with an attached suppressor and a high-capacity magazine was seized. The rifle did not have a serial number, which would indicate it was either a ghost gun or the serial number was defaced. Also, approximately 1 gram of methamphetamine, and a quantity of Clonazepam pills were located.
State police arrested 37-year-old Matthew Hopper of State Route 58 in Gouverneur and charged him with the following.
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon 3rd possession of a suppressor
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon 3rd– assault weapon
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon 3rd– large Cap magazine
- Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance 7th– Methamphetamine,
- Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance 7th– Clonazepam.
He was arraigned in the Town of Gouverneur Court and remanded to St. Lawrence County Jail in lieu of $50,000 cash or $100,000 bond.