COLONIE, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Colonie police say Julian Soto, 23, of Troy was arrested for possession of an illegal handgun. They say his is the 15th illegal handgun they’ve recovered in this year.
Just before 3 a.m. on Friday, police say an officer observed a blue 2016 Hyundai make several vehicle and traffic violations. He initiated a traffic stop, pulling over the car on Winners Circle by Metro Park Road. Soto was a passenger in the vehicle.
Police say he had a Phoenix Arms Raven .25 handgun loaded with six rounds. Soto has an order of protection out of Rensselaer County that bans him from having firearms.
His was charged with second- and third-degree criminal possession of a weapon. These charges are worth up to 22 years if he’s convicted, according to New York’s sentencing guidelines.
Besides Soto and the driver, three others were present in the car. Two minors, aged 13 and 14, were returned home.
This is the 15th illegal firearm recovered by the police department in 2020, and the second in less than a week.
- Viral video shows man hanging off back of truck at high speeds
- Dog dies from coronavirus complications, NC health officials say
- Perseid meteor shower to peak Tuesday night; here’s how to watch
- Saratoga County: Two men charged with reported robbery involving a pistol
- Border agent charged with transporting narcotics from desert to Phoenix airport