(AP) — Gov. Andrew Cuomo is proposing to allow counties to opt into regional lockups instead of solely operating their own facility.
It comes as jail populations continue to plummet across the state.
The legislation from Gov. Cuomo is one in a long list of policy proposals included within his state budget proposal, on which lawmakers continue to hold hearings this week.
The governor’s office says the legislation will allow counties to lower costs by not maintaining their own separate facility.
- River Hospital offers podiatry services, including surgeries, locally in the Thousand Islands
- Erika Plumpton of Northern Credit Union explains how to use credit card wisely for your financial future
- Rochester surgeons use glue to hold man’s heart together in rare medical case
- 2-19-20: Wind chill making today feel colder, looking at possible snow on Friday morning
- Sending military-style border units to ‘sanctuary cities’ a White House scare tactic, advocates say
Stay up-to-date by liking ABC50 on Facebook.