Rosa will have to leave her position with the Board of Regents to direct her time to her new role. The interim commissioner leads the department and works closely with the Board of Regents to ensure each student in New York has access to quality education.
She starts her new position on August 14.
Rosa acknowledged the challenges students, teachers and parents face this fall and said consistency is important during these trying times.
“This has been an incredibly difficult decision, as I love my work on the Board of Regents, but I’m confident that it is the right one to ensure the stability that we need for our students during this unprecedented time. Districts and schools are about to begin an instructional year like no other in our history. It is imperative that the Department continues its important work without interruption, and I am dedicated to providing that constancy as Interim Commissioner. I want to thank Shannon Tahoe for her leadership and steady hand through one of our most challenging times. The Department is well positioned to move forward with the Board’s priorities and to ensure that our students and educators can resume teaching and learning safely and effectively.”DR. BETTY A. ROSA
- Stimulus check update: GOP, Democrats inching closer to aid compromise
- Lawmaker: Trump must answer for 200k+ lives lost to COVID-19 in first presidential debate
- Members of Congress look forward to first presidential debate
- Dems hold hearing on white supremacists within police depts
- 500,000 sharks might have to die to fight COVID-19, advocacy group says