LAKE PLACID, N.Y. (AP) — The 2021 Empire State Winter Games have been canceled because of safety concerns posed by the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Organizers said in a statement Tuesday that the challenges and uncertainty presented by COVID-19 prevent the organization from appropriately planning, organizing, and producing events safely in more than 30 sports.
The events in the 41st edition of the games were originally scheduled for late January in the Lake Placid region of the Adirondack Mountains. Empire State Winter Games executive director Molly Mayer says she remains hopeful the games can host a virtual or social media event for 2021 participants.
- Here’s when you can see the ‘Christmas Star’ for the first time in 800 years
- Police clear suspected explosive device found outside of Steuben County Mental Health Center
- Man wanted for shooting Mass. state trooper shot, killed by US Marshals; 2 officers hurt
- Get a call offering you an early COVID-19 vaccine? It’s a scam
- US adds 245,000 jobs as virus threatens the economy’s slow comeback