LAKE PLACID, N.Y. (AP) — The 2021 Empire State Winter Games have been canceled because of safety concerns posed by the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Organizers said in a statement Tuesday that the challenges and uncertainty presented by COVID-19 prevent the organization from appropriately planning, organizing, and producing events safely in more than 30 sports.
The events in the 41st edition of the games were originally scheduled for late January in the Lake Placid region of the Adirondack Mountains. Empire State Winter Games executive director Molly Mayer says she remains hopeful the games can host a virtual or social media event for 2021 participants.
- Cuomo book scandal: Governor may face criminal investigation over alleged use of state resources
- Scholars urge Biden to stop Title 42 expulsions and Mexico to end arrest of migrants
- 40 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in St. Lawrence County since Friday
- Tyrannosaurs may have hunted in packs like wolves, new research shows
- Montana guide dies after grizzly mauling near Yellowstone