(NEWS10) —September 1 is National Poll Worker Recruitment Day, as state and county Boards of Elections say there’s a huge need for poll workers ahead of Eelection Day.
Most who help out at local polling stations are volunteering, and about 55% are over 60. They’re at-risk for the coronavirus, and many are choosing to opt-out, creating a shortage.
New York’s Board of Elections needs replacement volunteers, and they’re encouraging younger people to sign up.
- Second stimulus checks: White House less optimistic than Pelosi on pre-election deal
- Despite Democratic roadblocks, Senate moves forward with Trump’s Supreme Court nomination
- Dems and Trump trade blame for COVID-19 failures as election nears
- Americans struggle with food security amid pandemic
- Oklahoma woman with COVID-19 forced to find ICU bed in Texas as hospitalizations spike