NEW YORK STATE (WSYR-TV) — The FBI has released its 2019 internet crime report and the news isn’t good. Criminals are deploying new tactics to swindle you out of your hard-earned money.
Across the country, the FBI received nearly half a million complaints in 2019. It was an average of nearly 1,300 a day.
New York State had one of the highest numbers of people who fell victim to scams. Only California, Texas, and Florida had more.
New Yorkers lost nearly $200 million to scammers last year alone.
An FBI spokesperson says criminals are getting sophisticated and you have to stay vigilant.
They say to not give any information away over the phone.
These statistics are only based on the number of incidents that get reported. The FBI recovered more than $300 million for victims in 2019.
- Bills LB Tyrel Dodson has strong first NFL start filling in for Tremaine Edmunds
- BOX SCORE: Giants 13, Bears 17; Saquon Barkley feared to have torn ACL
- Two Bills rookies score their first NFL touchdowns in win over Miami
- Bills QB Josh Allen tops first 300 yard game with first 400 yard game in week two
- Josh Allen’s career day leads Bills to a 31-28 win over the Dolphins
Stay up-to-date by liking ABC50 on Facebook.