ALBANY, N.Y. (WROC) — The New York State Department of Education released detailed guidance on the process of reopening schools Monday morning.
The 28-page document covers a range of topics, including:
- Communication/Family & Community
- Health and Safety
- Child Nutrition
- Social Emotional Well-Being
- School Schedules
- Budget and Fiscal Matters
- Attendance and Chronic Absenteeism
- Technology and Connectivity
- Teaching and Learning
- Special Education
- Bilingual Education and
- World Languages
School districts across New York are to submit their specific reopening plans to the state government by the end of July. Gov. Andrew Cuomo said last week the state would make a “universal decision” in the first week of August about the prospect of schools reopening for the fall.
However, according to the guidance, “New York is a large and diverse state – so there will be no ‘one size fits all’ model for reopening our schools.”
Recovering, Rebuilding, and Renewing the Spirit of New York’s Schools: Reopening Guidance
“What complicates it is that looking at just one of those and going down the rabbit hole on one of those and being very thorough is time-consuming, but we have to do that for all three situations,” said Dr. Myers-Small. “Because we don’t know what the guidelines, the final guidelines that come from Governor Cuomo, will be.”
So, how will schools reopen, if at all?
“That is the million dollar question right now,” Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul said last week. “If you could tell us what the virus is going to do for the next month-and-a-half, we’d be able to tell you how schools are going to reopen.”
Hochul said to expect social distancing and masks to be part of the guidelines.
“We also have to take into consideration the age of the children,” said Hochul. “I’m sure it won’t be difficult to get high school students to wear their masks. Preschool and kindergartners, that’s another story. We are sensitive to that.”
Check back with News 8 WROC as we will continue to update this developing story.
- Four arrests linked to gas station skimming scheme in Capital Region
- Boys & Girls Club launches apparel line to fundraise for food insecurity
- Governor announces new Erie Canal connector trail and grants for state parks
- Iowa man stole hand sanitizer after breaking into bank, police say
- Lebanese confront devastation after massive Beirut explosion