ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10/WROC) — State Sen. Michael Gianiris, the Democratic Deputy Senate Majority Leader who represents part of Queens, introduced a bill postponing rent payments for 90 days.
Senate Bill S8125 would suspend rent for certain tenants as a response to COVID-19.
The bill is currently in the Senate Judiciary Committee, about twenty additional state senators have co-sponsored the bill—including Capital Region representatives —and there is also a version of the bill in the Assembly.
Last week, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo listed measures enacted for financial relief amid the pandemic, including:
- 90-day mortgage relief
- Waive mortgage payments based on financial hardship
- No negative reporting to credit bureaus
- Grace period for loan modifications
- No late payment fees or online payment fees
- Postponing or suspending foreclosures
- Waive fees for overdrafts, ATMs, and credit cards
- WATCH SOON: Top doctors, mental health experts answer your questions on ‘Coronavirus House Calls’ | May 30
- Georgia teen pens 300 letters urging elected officials to protect prisoners from coronavirus
- The experts at Northern Credit Union share top tips for living your best financial life
- Trump meets with CEOs to discuss how to safely reopen economy
- Elmira native/retired NASA astronaut Eileen Collins excited for SpaceX launch, future of space exploration