CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. (WDVM) — A Chambersburg woman is facing charges after a 16-year-old nonverbal boy was found severely malnourished inside her home, weighing only 26 pounds.
Elisabet Estrada, 41, is charged with felony counts of aggravated assault and child endangerment after the Franklin County Children and Youth Services notified police.
Chambersburg police responded to a home on Kelhigh Drive to assist Children and Youth Services on Oct. 24 and discovered the boy.
The 16-year-old boy was admitted to Hershey Medical Center, weighing just 26 pounds. Children and Youth responded to the address to check the welfare of siblings and set up a “safety plan” if necessary. According to police, the other siblings in the home were in good condition.
Children and Youth Services reported the mother hadn’t used any therapy or early intervention services since 2005.
The child “ruminated his food,” as if he didn’t have the ability to get food at home. When he had food, he regurgitated and re-ate it, according to police.
According to court documents, the victim remained at Hershey Medical Center until Dec. 2. He gained 2.2 pounds during his first two days and weighed 45 pounds at the time of his discharge.
Estrada was put in Franklin County Jail on Jan. 17 on $25,000 bail.
- No. 8 Florida State slips past Wolfpack 67-61
- No. 11 Louisville blows past short-handed UNC 72-55
- New York State awarded $40M to strengthen early childhood care, education programs
- Governor Cuomo: ‘I will never allow use of the DMV database for immigration actions’
- Take ABC50’s St. Patrick’s Day Trivia quiz for a chance to win over $600 in prizes
Stay up-to-date by liking ABC50 on Facebook.