The new law will create a pathway of eligibility for state veterans’ benefits for those who were dishonorably discharged because of their LGBTQ status, military sexual trauma, traumatic brain injury, or post-traumatic stress disorder.
The state division of veterans services started accepting applications from the potential eligible veterans back in June. A decision on the applications is expected to be made by Thursday.
NY Sen. Brad Hoylman said:
“If you serve our country, our country should take care of you — period.”
Hoylman also said the law is a step to reverse the Trump Administration’s actions to bar transgendered Americans from joining the military service.
- SU women to play Penn State on December 6
- Where to watch: SU basketball vs. Niagara
- Monolith in Utah desert was toppled by group who said ‘leave no trace’, visitor says
- Naked stranger, feces-covered walls found inside home after burglary reported
- Women’s Health: Working good for the brain of women over age 60