WEBB, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Police say Stephen E. Swanton, 43, from Rochester was arrested and charged with murder and attempted murder after an alleged weekend shooting.
Around 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, local police responded to a reported home invasion on Dan-Bar Acres Road in Webb, Herkimer County. State police say their investigation suggests that Swanton had an argument at a party down the road from his house that followed him home. During the verbal altercation in the driveway of his residence, Swanton allegedly shot both individuals with a handgun.
Police have identified the victims of the shooting:
- Scott R. Krempler, 50, of Patterson
- William J. Robertello, 55, of Oriskany
According to police, Krempler was pronounced dead at the scene. Robertello was treated for his gunshot wound at Upstate University Hospital and released.
Authorities say Swanton was taken into custody without incident. He was charged with:
- Second-degree murder
- Second-degree attempted murder
These felony charges could be worth life in prison if Swanton is convicted, according to maximum state sentencing guidelines. Police say the investigation is ongoing.
- ‘Operation Back Road:’ DEC Police issued 240 tickets for road hunting offenses during 2020 hunting seasons
- Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron dies at 86
- Sunshine, cold temperatures for North Country this weekend
- Snow Ridge debuts brand-new tubing park just in time for fresh snow
- WNY family looking for answers after they say VA Medical Center threw out late Vietnam veteran’s personal belongings