BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — A man who was detained at the Peace Bridge because of an outstanding warrant, then taken to the Erie County Holding Center in Buffalo, is now under medical observation because of his recent visit to China.
This development is due to the novel coronavirus and the worldwide concern it has caused.
Kevin Qiu is a Brooklyn resident who is assessed as a “medium risk” individual for the virus, according to the Erie County Sheriff’s Office, which emphasizes that Qiu is not symptomatic. The sheriff’s office states that precautions are in place until either his release or a decision on extradition is made.
Qiu, 42, tried to enter the United States on Wednesday, and at that time, a health screening was performed on him after he told customs officers about his visit to China, which is the epicenter of the virus outbreak.
Qiu was then taken to the holding center in downtown Buffalo because of a fugitive warrant out of Chester County, to the west of Philadelphia.
The Sheriff’s Office notified the New York State Department of Health and the Erie County Department of Health, and all parties are working to establish protocols, precautions, and protections for jail staff and other inmates.
Jail management has taken appropriate measures to ensure the health and welfare of other inmates and staff. In the meantime, medical professionals will be monitoring Qiu’s temperature and other vitals on a set schedule.
The Sheriff’s Office has notified the New York State Commission of Correction.Statement from Erie County Sheriff’s office
- WATCH SOON: Top doctors, mental health experts answer your questions on ‘Coronavirus House Calls’ | May 30
- Georgia teen pens 300 letters urging elected officials to protect prisoners from coronavirus
- The experts at Northern Credit Union share top tips for living your best financial life
- Trump meets with CEOs to discuss how to safely reopen economy
- Elmira native/retired NASA astronaut Eileen Collins excited for SpaceX launch, future of space exploration
Stay up-to-date by liking ABC50 on Facebook.