Upstate house fire that killed 3 young boys ruled accidental

State News
HERKIMER FIRE VICTIMS_1547498950858.jpeg_67366779_ver1.0_640_360_1547559654221.jpg.jpg

HERKIMER, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) – The cause of a deadly fire that claimed the lives of three young boys in Herkimer last week has been ruled accidental. 

Investigators say it appears the fire, which quickly spread from the basement of the East Steele Street home as the family slept, was sparked by an electrical issue. 

Autopsies determined that 7-year-old Michael DeCarlis Jr., 6-year-old Richard DeCarlis and 1-year-old Jackson DeCarlis all died from smoke inhalation.

Fire officials say two adults and the three children lived in the home. 

The fire chief says the two parents were woken up by smoke detectors and they tried to get to the three children in the middle of the home, but were unsuccessful.

The parents exited the home through first-floor windows and attempted to go back in, but weren’t able to.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.