PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Authorities in Maine say the woman killed in a rare shark attack off the state’s coast was a 63-year-old resident of New York City.
The Maine Department of Marine Resources says the shark bite killed Julie Dimperio Holowach off Bailey Island on Monday while she was swimming.
The marine patrol said a witness saw Holowach swimming off the shore of Bailey Island on Monday when she was injured in what appeared to be a shark attack. Two kayakers then helped her get to shore, and an ambulance provided further assistance, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
An unprovoked shark attack in Maine is a rare occurrence that has only been recorded once before.
- Stewart’s Shop to offer free coffee on National Coffee Day
- Dansville mayor says bar is operating without a liquor license, violating COVID-19 protocols
- National Public Lands Day September 26: Visit a NYS Park
- Deer and bear bowhunting season announced, youth big game hunt scheduled
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg is first woman to lie in state at US Capitol