(WJET/WFXP) Erie, PA—If you are crazy about orangutans, here’s a story you might go bananas over.
The Erie Zoo celebrated Joe the orangutan’s 34th birthday today. At 34 years old, Joe is considered a senior citizen, but they say he is in very good health.
The average life expectancy for an orangutan is about 35-40-years-old.
For his special day keepers decorated his exhibit and gave him extra fruit.
“For a lot of our animals birthday party’s, specifically the orangutans because they are so entertained by humans, we throw big parties for them. Not only do they gets lots of goodies, so Joe got lots of snacks that are healthy of course,” said Emily Smicker, Erie Zoo.
Joe was born in Topeka, Kansas, but has been at the Erie Zoo since 2002.
If you would like to wish Joe a happy belated birthday, the Erie Zoo opens up February 29th.
- Patriots look to rebound as they host 2-0 Raiders
- ‘She is the female Scalia’: Lawmakers react to President Trump picking Amy Coney Barrett to replace RBG
- Freshman running back Sean Tucker powers the Orange to a 37-20 victory under new Dome roof
- Amy Coney Barrett: 5 things to know about Trump’s Supreme Court nominee
- President Trump nominates Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court
Stay up-to-date by liking ABC50 on Facebook.