McCoy addressed media, not investigation

NFL Buffalo

LeSean McCoy expects to play week one. 

“I’m here right now. I feel very confident,” he said.

So went the theme of the McCoy discussion before day one of Bills Camp at St. John Fisher: he was there and there’s no reason to think anything different will happen before the season begins. 

The first thing Bills GM Brandon Beane said at camp was that McCoy is “ready to roll” despite the police investigation into a home invasion and assault of McCoy’s ex-girlfriend at a home he owns in Milton, Georgia earlier in July. 

The Bills say they spoke with both the NFL and police in Georgia and are “satisfied” with how things stand. “LeSean’s here and it’s going to be about football,” Beane said. “We don’t see that changing.”

Though McCoy will be participating in practice as usual, the Bills are still concerned for him.  

“It’s kind of like being a parent,” McDermott said. “You worry about things. Let me also say [that this] is a situation that we take very seriously because of the nature of the situation.”

McCoy declined to address the investigation. All he wanted to discuss Thursday was football.

“I want to be that leader for my teammates. I want to get us in the best shape possible for this upcoming season and that’s it,” McCoy said. “My main focus is here and my teammates, my team, trying to build [us] together at camp, to reach a goal together, and that’s a championship.”

McCoy says his conversations with Beane and McDermott were part of the normal program, but he appreciates their support. 

“They’re backing me up 110 percent,” McCoy said. “We had a long talk yesterday and we’re moving forward. Everything is just geared on making this team better. I want to be there for my teammates, my guys, my coaches.”

And until further notice, he will be. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.