SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — For the second straight game, Syracuse had to fight through a great deal of adversity. Unlike Saturday though, with the game on the line, it was the opponent that made the plays down the stretch.
NC State closed the game on a 17-6 run to edge the Orange 79-74.
Elijah Hughes exited the game 2:33 into the first half and did not return. It’s believed that Elijah was dealing with a muscle strain during warm-ups and was unable to play.
With Hughes out of action, Joe Girard III stepped up. The freshman guard from Glens Falls went for a season-high 30 points.
His classmate, Quincy Guerrier, also went for a season-high with 16 points. Guerrier did a nice job on the glass as well finishing with 10 rebounds.
SU actually won the rebounding battle by five. Syracuse is now 10-2 this season when out-rebounding its opponent with the only other loss coming at home to Virginia Tech.
Buddy Boeheim chipped in with 10 points as Syracuse drops to 7-6 in conference play.
Devon Daniels led the Wolfpack with 23 points.
NC State made 11 “3’s” as a team while Syracuse went just 3-for-18 from behind the three-point line.
Next up for the Orange is a trip to Florida on Saturday. The Seminoles is #8 in the national polls.
- Bills LB Tyrel Dodson has strong first NFL start filling in for Tremaine Edmunds
- BOX SCORE: Giants 13, Bears 17; Saquon Barkley feared to have torn ACL
- Two Bills rookies score their first NFL touchdowns in win over Miami
- Bills QB Josh Allen tops first 300 yard game with first 400 yard game in week two
- Josh Allen’s career day leads Bills to a 31-28 win over the Dolphins
Stay up-to-date by liking ABC50 on Facebook.